[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adriano Castro <m0n0wall at adrianocastro dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Embedded PC: 2 vs 3 Ethernet Ports
 Date:  Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:07:35 +0100
Hi,

     First and foremost hi to every one. I'm a newbie to the list and
m0n0wall. I've been reading quite a lot about it and have been going
through the list as well.

     I haven't tried m0n0wall yet but will do soon. I'll probably start
off using an old PC and either a hard-drive or the CD-ROM solution. But
the embedded PCs really interest me.

     In the meantime, I've been reading about the latter ones and don't
fully understand the need or use of a 3rd Ethernet port (as in Soekris'
net4501-30 model). 2 ports make sense to me: WAN + LAN. I believe the
3rd port is commonly used for DMZ, correct?

     If this is the case it kind of confuses me because I'm used to
having DMZs set-up virtually.

     Can anyone enlighten me, please?

     Terribly sorry if this question sounds awkward or even dumb but
there's a long way to go for me in the firewall/embedded PC world.

     Thank you for your time and understanding.

     AD