[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vincent Fleuranceau <vincent at bikost dot com>
 To:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 Cc:  'm0n0wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Accessing a bridged DSL modem...
 Date:  Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:20:48 +0200
-------- Original Message --------

> I have ADSL and am using m0n0 1.1 on a soekris. My westell DSL modem is
> set to do bridging but can be accessed at 192.168.1.1 to get statistics.
>
> I have a static IP of 209.xxx.yyy.78 that is assigned to the WAN m0n0.
> My LAN is 192.168.100.1/24. Both of these are in a cold and dark place
> that I never want to go. So when I need to access the modem to configure
> anything or access it, I cannot do so easily. M0n0 doesn't know where
> 192.168.1.1 is.
>
> How would I have to configure m0n0 in order to access the DSL modem and
> still be able to use the ISP's routable IP?

I think it's not easy with m0n0wall(not m0n0wall specific): that would
mean changing the WAN IP to something in the 192.168.1.0/24 range...

Of course, it's always *possible*, but you'll lose the Internet
connection during that time. Maybe connecting a hub between the modem
and m0n0wall with both WAN (for PPPoE) and OPT interfaces (to access the
modem GUI) in parallel may work but I'm not even sure.

Question: why access the modem? What to configure? When it's up and
running, you shouldn't have to access it anymore.

-- Vincent

PS: buy a light and a polar fleece jacket ;-)