[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  RP Smith <rpsmith at hotmail dot com>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Troubles writing m0n0 to HDD
 Date:  Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:29:29 -0600
RP Smith wrote:

>I think you would be better of with the CD/Floppy solution than a hard drive as sooner than later
the HD will die on you.  If you are looking for the ability to remotely upgrade, go with a compact
flash memory module and a Mach5Products.com IDE to compact flash adapter.  The adapter is only $19
US and you can buy the compact flash memory module for under $20 US.  Also, I use a compact flash to
USB adapter and Windows to install the image.

Honestly, a floppy (drive and/or disk) will die long before a hard
drive, especially if you have the hard drive set to spin down when it's
not in use.

As a general rule, what kills a hard drive is heating up and cooling
down -- It doesn't heat up much if the drive is only running for 60-120
seconds during bootup, then it powers down and stays off for weeks or
months at a time.

--
A fool and his money are soon popular.