[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Accessing a bridged DSL modem...
 Date:  Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:29:59 -0400
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:23:09 -0500, RP Smith <rpsmith at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> I have a cable modem that works in the bridging mode that has an internal
> web interface at 192.168.100.1 and I have no problems getting to it.  Your
> m0n0wall should see the 192.168.1.1 address as off net and send it to the
> wan interface.  Does anything show up in your m0n0wall logs?

That's not going to work, because your m0n0wall is going to send the
packets to its default gateway (at your ISP) since it's off of its
network, and your ISP isn't going to route 192.168.x.x back to your
cable modem.

This *should* work, but I haven't tested it.

Download your config.xml and open it in a text editor.

Under the line that shows </webgui>, paste in this:

<shellcmd>ifconfig fxp0 inet 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 alias</shellcmd>

replace fxp0 with whatever the interface name of your WAN interface
is.  If you don't know, look down a few lines, and you'll see
something similar to this:

		<wan>
			<if>fxp0</if>

your WAN interface is whatever you see between the <if> tags.

That adds an IP alias on your WAN interface for an IP within the
subnet of the cable modem's IP.

Ok, after adding the <shellcmd> line in the approprate place, save the
config file.  Then go to your m0n0wall and restore the config.xml you
just edited.  Reboot.

Now you *should* be able to get to 192.168.1.1 because m0n0wall knows
that subnet is directly off your WAN interface.  You'll need to
disable "block private networks" on the WAN page in the webGUI.

Please let me know if that works.

-Chris