[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "ALFREDO GONZALEZ" <got2go at msn dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Status: Inteface question
 Date:  Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:27:36 +0000
>From: "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
>To: "ALFREDO GONZALEZ" <got2go at msn dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
>Subject: RE: [m0n0wall] Status: Inteface question
>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:16:22 -0700
>
> > 2- For total traffic, you could write some scripot to query the SNMP
> > interface/counter every 5 minutes or so. Basically, every time the
>script
> > runs, it reads the counter values from the interface, then calculates
>the
> > delta from the last value, if the delta is negative, then the counter
>has
> > re-set, so  then add the current value to the difference between the
>last
> > value and 4294967295. Then write this number down. Perhaps as
> > variables in a
> > text file.
> >

>5 minutes is the standard for 100Mb feeds... you have to go faster if you
>have a 1Gb interface.
>
>This is exactly what MRTG is intended to do. Produces pretty graphs too ;-)
>
>There are a couple other systems that do similar - some log to DB, etc.
>
>m/

Correct, but I suspect this is already much more info than the OP was
looking to digest.

MRTG, and its round robin database, are average based, and total
calculations will not be accurate, although close. But, the OP wanted a more
accurate count, as opposed to his ISP's accounting method, which he suspects
of not being accurate.

So, that is why I think a separate, simpler script might be a better
solution for total traffic counters.

Got2Go