[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "ALFREDO GONZALEZ" <got2go at msn dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Status: Inteface question
 Date:  Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:52:40 +0000
>From: "ALFREDO GONZALEZ" <got2go at msn dot com>
>To: no dot emails dot plz at netvisao dot pt, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
>Subject: RE: [m0n0wall] Status: Inteface question
>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:45:52 +0000
>

>>From: "The Unwanted" <no dot emails dot plz at netvisao dot pt>
>>To: <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
>>Subject: RE: [m0n0wall] Status: Inteface question
>>Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:27:05 +0100
>>
>>Thanks for the through response but.... I kindda lost me there ;)
>>
>>1 - I don't use SNMP at all
>>2 - Don't know how to do it
>>3 - You mean making those SNMP queries to the NIC attached to the Cable
>>Modem, or to the actual NIC?
>>
>>Pedro
>>

>Hi Pedro,
>
>1- SNMP is normally used to query the interface counters on many systems.
>It is the defacto standard for this, and pretty much every networked device
>and OS in existance has this capabillity.
>(except unmanaged switches/hubs and other dumb devices). You dont have to
>use it, but it is there, and can be used for this purpose.
>
>2- Perhaps somebody here might find the time to make a PHP (or some other
>language) to do this on a custom webpage on the mono itself.
>
>3- The SNMP query would be made on the mono interfaces directly (WAN, LAN,
>and any OPT interfaces) This would give you accurate counters for any
>traffic going through the mono box.
>
>Got2Go

Pedro,

If you have a computer that is always on, you can use an existing
program/script on that computer to query the mono box SNMP counters and make
appropriate reports, graphs, etc. There are many of these available. Some
free.

A Windows exmple of a free one:  http://www.paessler.com/products/prtg/

Got2Go