[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "The Unwanted" <no dot emails dot plz at netvisao dot pt>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Status: Inteface question
 Date:  Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:10:47 -0000
Hi Alfredo,

I was under the impression that ISPs use SNMP to query the Cable Modem for
byte transfer so than can use in accounting.
For this purpose they normally use the Cable Modem IP address internal to
the network (normaly 10.xx.xx.xx).. Or so I heard

But from what you are saying, I understand that you are refering to the NIC
WAN card (that is itself connected to the Cable Modem) and getting the
values from there.
I didn't know (again I know nothing of SNMP) NICs had such counters.

I think I'll proceed in investigating in that direction as if it is so, than
a doable script is possible.....another idea is to parse the Stats screen
web page from m0n0 and colect the stats from there on a daily basis (this
what I do using Samurize, an ActiveX script and the ISP traffic account web
page).

The link (CableModem<->WAN NIC) is only 10Mbps by the way (some asked about
that).

Pedro