[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ray Cummins <r at burlco dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall 1.2b2: Captive portal logout popup continued
 Date:  Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:30:49 -0400
My last message about this can be found here:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=104&actionargs[]=89
and a fairly verbose description of what I've found out since that last
message can be found here: http://www.burlco.org/captive/ (includes tcpdump)

In a nutshell, m0n0wall seems to be sending spurious RST packets to the
client after they authenticate to the captive portal.  Depending on the
timing of the RST packet, this sometimes results in truncation of the
page that m0n0wall sends in order to show the logout popup and redirect
the browser to the desired web site.  I've seen this behaviour in
m0n0wall 1.1, 1.2b1, and 1.2b2.

I hope nobody thinks I'm whining about this, I'm just documenting what I
find as I try to troubleshoot it.  Of course if it helps someone else
fix it, all the better :-)