[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "The Unwanted" <no dot emails dot plz at netvisao dot pt>
 To:  "'HTN02'" <ahtn02 at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: System freezes
 Date:  Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:24:02 -0000
I had the same problem.

When using the generic-pc-1.1.img image on a 1.7Gb disk (or any other disk
for that matter) on my old P55T2P4, it just "froze" after the whole POST and
whatever.

I used windows to write image, then I used Linux (Red-Hat), then I just gave
up and used the generic-cdrom-1.1.img on an a CDRW.
So sorry, this post is not the answer to your question, just someone that
shares the same problem.

I did get Freesbie with the intent to do this, as I saw a lot of post
claiming issues with Linux and dd, but I never had the patentience of
removing the HD from the m0n0box and using my PC (where I have Freesbie) to
do that.

From what I could see the partition table was written incorrectly (checking
on Linux)...
Was it the OS? Was it the tool? Was it the users fault? Dunno.

All in all, I think I prefer using the CD version, as I'm a bit "nervous"
with on-the-fly firmware upgrades, plus it is a bit more safe to use a
read-only fs, plus this way updates are easy (just re-imaging the CD and
uploading the config).
Plus, this way no HDs are running on the box, so it uses less power and is
more quiet :)

Pedro