[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: System freezes
 Date:  Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:58:25 -0500
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:24:02 -0000, The Unwanted
<no dot emails dot plz at netvisao dot pt> wrote:

> I did get Freesbie with the intent to do this, as I saw a lot of post
> claiming issues with Linux and dd, but I never had the patentience of
> removing the HD from the m0n0box and using my PC (where I have Freesbie) to
> do that.
>
> Was it the OS? Was it the tool? Was it the users fault? Dunno.

I have a FreeSBIE image custom built specifically for loading
m0n0wall, including all the 1.1 and 1.2b2 images on the iso, and
instructions.  http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/liveinstaller/

might be worth trying that.  Seems that a few people have trouble
getting it loaded on a HD properly, but I'm not sure why.  I've never
had a problem, but I've always used my live CD because it's a lot
easier (for me at least).  Can easily load with the HD in the box it's
going to stay in (assuming it has a video card, i.e. not something
like a soekris 4801)

My guess would be user error, but I'm not sure where that error might
be.  If you follow the documentation verbatim, it'll work.

> All in all, I think I prefer using the CD version, as I'm a bit "nervous"
> with on-the-fly firmware upgrades, plus it is a bit more safe to use a
> read-only fs,

The running fs isn't read only (it's in RAM), and your config isn't
read only unless you set your floppy to read only, so the difference
is negligable really.

> plus this way updates are easy (just re-imaging the CD and
> uploading the config).

Just re-writing the CD, actually.  The config is on the floppy, it
automatically picks it up, even with newer versions.  The upgrades are
actually easier with HD or CF installs, since you can do them from the
webGUI without physically being at the box.  I understand being
nervous about upgrading that way, but I manage a number of these boxes
each in different locations and have yet to have a problem with an
upgrade.  Having to physically be at each location to upgrade would be
a major hassle.

> Plus, this way no HDs are running on the box, so it uses less power and is
> more quiet :)

m0n0 shuts down the HD after boot anyway.  It runs out of RAM, doesn't
need it.  If you change your config, it fires up the drive to save it,
other than that it doesn't touch it.

-Chris