[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <mono at centrum dot sk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  ARP Proxy and aliases.
 Date:  Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:54:59 +0100
Under menu of MONO in section ARp Proxy is written -
"Proxy ARP can be used if you need m0n0wall to send ARP replies on the WAN interface for other IP
addresses than its own WAN IP address (e.g. for 1:1, advanced outbound or server NAT). It is not
necessary if you have a subnet routed to you or if you use PPPoE/PPTP, and it only works if the WAN
interface is configured with a static IP address or DHCP."

My question is, what does mean .."It is not necessary if you have a subnet routed to you.."?

In both case I`m able to ping from outside, public IPs defined in ARP Proxy?

What is difference, if i define via exec.php page alias public IPs in WAN instead setting of ARP
proxy, in this case i`m able ping that public IPs from outside Internet also?
Thank you very much.
Robo.K.