[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Peter Parnican'" <peter at procad dot sk>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: LAN bandwidth - shaping
 Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:43:24 -0000
> Thats shame.... is there any possibility stop them to see each others?
> Maybe if exist,  i can install to every PC software which
> will regulate max.
> bandwidth of NIC... but not netlimer, everyone could easily
> switched off this one.... better will be somethings hidden in
> winows procceses or somethings similar...

There seems something "wrong" with surrupticiously installing software on
users' computers to artificially limit their network speeds. Assuming all
the users are personally known to you, why not simply have a chat with the 2
users in question, explain that what they're doing is having a detrimental
effect on other network users, and could they please either stop it, or do
it at times when no-one else needs to use it (late at night, etc.)

If you'd rather look for a technical solution, there are some wireless APs
that work in what they call "isolation mode", i.e. the wireless clients
can't "see" each other - the only route they have is to the router. (I'd
guess this works by the AP not forwarding any packets between IPs connected
through the AP, but only to the wired LAN). I'm pretty sure I've seen
Netgear units with this option on them, and I seem to remember one of the
early 3com 11g APs also had this capability. I'm sure there are others.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579