[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Transparent proxy with 3rd party machine ?
 Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:48:32 -0000
> I am looking for a solution to add a squid (on a external
> machine) and force local users to use proxy.
> Idealy a transparent proxy solution is what I want to do...

Your best bet is probably the info on Squid's website - there's some good
stuff about setting up transparent proxies on there. (www.squid-cache.org)

I personally don't bother with transparent proxying - but I do have a squid
box running on the LAN. It's an ideal way of applying different traffic
shaping rules to HTTP traffic. All web *browsing* goes via the Squid proxy,
but all HTTP/FTP downloads go direct (easy enough to do if you're using a
download manager like Getright - just don't define proxy settings in the
download manager).

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579