[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Vincent Fleuranceau'" <vincent at bikost dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VPN possibilities
 Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:47:22 -0500
The concept of which "side" you are sitting can be a real problem. My
experience with SonicWall VPN client (customized SafeNet SoftRemoteLT
IPSEC client) is that if the security policy is enabled when the user
is connected to the LAN, the client cannot access resources on the
LAN. The VPN client thinks it needs to connect to the VPN tunnel on
the WAN interface to reach the LAN subnet - while it is on the LAN
subnet. The system gets really confused...

For my clients with laptop users that have SonicWall VPNs, my
instructions are to disable the VPN client while in the office - turn
it on ONLY when not in the office. The same instructions should work
for ANY use of the SafeNet VPN Client - this includes the full SafeNet
product and any other "customized" versions (such as Netgear VPN
Client).

James W. McKeand