[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Dunn <gdunn at inscriber dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: LAN bandwidth - shaping
 Date:  Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:11:31 -0500
Dave Warren wrote:

> Peter Parnican wrote:
>
>> From your experiences:  if you have conected 802.11b client to this
>> AP and
>> 802.11g what is behaviour of AP. I hope AP using for g clintrs speed
>> 54Mb
>> and for b 11Mbp... or use only the speed of the slowest client? (if
>> there is
>> nitro technology then it should be OK also for diferent client)
>>

> With most access points, A/B will share the same speed (A single B
> user will slow down all A users), but -G is 5.8GHz instead of 2.4GHz
> and as a result it doesn't really share anything with -B users, so you
> should be able to have different speeds simultaneously.

I think you've got those reversed. 802.11b and g operate at the same
frequency (2.5GHz) You will see a slowdown in throughput when 802.11b
devices are associated with your 802.11g AP, and moreso when they send
and recieve data.

See http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article42-page8.php for some
details (it's a little old, but explains well).

Graham