[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason J. Ellingson" <jason at ellingson dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping for VoIP
 Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:34:06 -0600
I use Vonage as well (Motorola) and got best results by:

Internet

CableModem

MonoWall

Motorola -- Telephones

Switch
 | | |
Computers

And set up the Motorola to be in "bridged" mode, assigned it a static IP
(192.168.1.2) and set up two forward rules (UDP 5061 and UDP 10000-10011) to
its IP.

Now I can go like mad with downloading and all, keep the Vonage quality at
"best" (90 kbps) and never had a single problem talking while using
bandwidth sucking peer-to-peer applications.

When I tried traffic shaping, I noticed it increased the lag a bit (added
like 100ms at times) and cut down available bandwidth a little too.  I also
got weird echoes and such sometimes and so to make it work fairly well, I
switched it to "lowest" quality (30 kbps) which did better.
Jason J Ellingson
Technical Consultant

615.301.1682 : nashville
612.605.1132 : minneapolis