[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  traffic graph (was Re: Non passwored graphic)
 Date:  Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:26:56 -0600
Brian wrote:
> I would agree, especially since I would bet many of us on this list
> choose not to use IE for our browser, but from what I have found, that
> is the only browser with proper support for viewing the built in graphs
> in m0n0.

Brian,

Firstly, I highly recommend using SNMP to get and display
router/firewall data on an external machine. Here are a couple of ways
to get and visualize m0n0wall traffic for mass viewing:

For Windows: PRTG Traffic Grapher
---------------------------------
www.paessler.com/products/prtg/?link=home1

     The Freeware Edition is completely free for personal and commercial
use and may be downloaded for free.

     PRTG Traffic Grapher monitors network and bandwidth usage as well
as various other network parameters like memory and CPU usages,
providing system administrators with live readings and periodical usage
trends to optimize the efficiency, layout and setup of leased lines,
routers, firewalls, servers and other Simple Network Management Protocol
(SNMP) enabled network components.

     PRTG Traffic Grapher brings its own internal web server for remote
access to the monitoring results.

For Unix: Cacti
---------------
www.cacti.net

     Cacti is released under the GNU General Public License, meaning
that it is completely free with no strings attached.

     Cacti is a complete network graphing solution designed to harness
the power of RRDTool's data storage and graphing functionality. Cacti
provides a fast poller, advanced graph templating, multiple data
acquisition methods, and user management features out of the box. All of
this is wrapped in an intuitive, easy to use interface that makes sense
for LAN-sized installations up to complex networks with hundreds of devices.

Secondly, the IE browser is NOT the "only browser with proper support
for viewing the built in graphs in m0n0." Adobe's SVG plugin may be
installed and used by the major browsers on Windows and Mac OS X platforms.

Specifically, users of Mozilla based browsers (e.g., Firefox) should
visit http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#AdobeSVG for details of
which SVG plugin to download and how to install it.

Finally, m0n0wall's traffic graph is a convenience for the m0n0wall
administrator - it's not meant to be used to display real time stats to
more than one user - that's what SNMP is for.