[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Load Balance and Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:26:04 -0500
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 12:41:54 -0300 (ART), Jose Iadicicco
<joseiadicicco at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> I would like to know if someone has tried M0n0Wall with a Dual-WAN Router (as Planet, Micronet,
> HotBrick, etc.). It's perfectly clear for me that these routers do not sum total bandwidth but
> load balance connections.
>
> Should I set up Total Download / Upload to the SUM of connection 1+2, or should I just put values
> of the highest one?
>
> Let's say I've got 2 DSL connections of 512 DW / 128 UP, should I configure M0n0Wall Total
> Download to 1024 and Upload to 256, or just leave them as 512 & 128?

If you leave it at 512/128, it's not going to properly account for the
total aggregate speed, and I believe that will limit your throughput.
But on the flip side, m0n0wall won't have a clue how that dual WAN
router is balancing connections.  If a session to and from one IP is
going through one connection, and m0n0wall is shaping it as if it had
twice as much bandwidth, it would flood that one connection.

My best guess would be to try both and see what happens.

-Chris