[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Kernel Panic in PC Image
 Date:  Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:56:10 -0500
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:11:35 -0500, Fig <figmail at comcast dot net> wrote:

> I'm trying to install the PC image onto a K6-II 500 with 96MB of PC100
> RAM and a 170MB hard drive. The board is a Chaintech CT-5SSV with
> integrated video and sound (not like that matters for M0n0wall).

Disable the onboard sound.  That might be causing the problem.

> I was able to get the image on the drive, but when I try to boot the
> system I get a kernel panic and it reboots itself in an endless loop.
>
> My question is: do I need to install drivers for the specific hardware
> I'm using, or should the image have all relevant drivers already in place?

No drivers are needed.  Set plug and play OS to "no", or "disable" in
the system BIOS if it isn't already.  Might also want to try resetting
the BIOS settings to the defaults, then disabling the sound card, and
disabling plug and play OS.

Next step if none of that works I'd try upgrading the system BIOS.
Sometimes older versions have bugs that FreeBSD picks out more readily
than other OS'es.

-Chris