[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eric Collins <eric at tawifi dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Questions about m0n0 and 802.1q vlans
 Date:  Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:04:00 -0700
Greetings,

I have a customer that is re-designing their network and they want to
use the VLAN capabilities of their Cisco equipment to divide out
customer networks (multi-floor building) from their own, which is a
brilliant idea I think, but they asked me to find answers to, and make
solutions for Internet routing. So here are my questions. (I have never
dealt with vlans and non-Cisco routers before)

Basically since I know m0n0 can handle 802.1 vlans, can I make a m0n0
box be the router for the vlans?
Normally I would handle this with Cisco routers but unfortunately money
and time is a big issue here, and since their Catalyst switches do not
have the router cards, I need a separate router.

They will start out with 5 vlans, each with a different subnet under
192.168.0.0, I need to have 1 m0n0 box see and route/NAT traffic for
each of those subnets. Here is a URL with a preliminary network layout
to give a better picture.

http://www.tawifi.com/sample-vlan.jpg

Since I have no experience with m0n0/FreeBSD with VLANs I need some
advice on whether I am barking up the wrong tree, or if I have taken the
right path. I hope I am on the right track because using m0n0wall with
this client will be perfect for me, since most of my other networks all
run m0n0 and administering it will be a breeze!!!

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

--
Eric Collins
Sr Network Administrator