[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature request - vnstat
 Date:  Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:07:09 -0500
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:57:39 +0100, M. G. (Michael) de Bruin
<mg dot debruin at buum dot nl> wrote:
> Aaron Wong wrote:
>

> > Hi.
> >
> > "vnStat is a network traffic monitor for Linux that keeps a log of daily
> > network traffic for the selected interface(s)."
> >
> > Apparenlty, someone has got it working on BSD, see
> > http://forums.humdi.net/viewtopic.php?t=267
> >
> > Would someone try compling it for m0n0 and possibly intergrate it for
> > future release.
> >
> > See http://humdi.net/vnstat/ for more info. and screen dumps.
>

> I agree this utility looks pretty cool, but I kind of miss the point why
> this would be usefull for m0n0wall: there is no such thing as a console.
> Besides, you have a way cooler program to graph traffic, with snmp,
> called mrtg. Check out http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
> and be astonished :).

mrtg (or check out ifgraph, a much nicer similar utility, documented
in the m0n0wall users guide) isn't in the same category as this
vnstat.  Yeah, it does make cheesy text graphs, but that's likely the
least of people's interest in this.

The problem with wanting any utility like this on m0n0wall is that
it'll lose all historical info at reboot because of the way the system
is designed.  It'd require some major changes in the way the system
works, that we won't see happen, to maintain historical data like
that.  m0n0wall even loses its DHCP leases file at reboot for this
same reason.

-Chris