[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Andy Choi'" <andyiowalist at mchsi dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Blocking P2P filesharing
 Date:  Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:54:39 -0000
> How can I block P2P filesharing with m0n0wall? Specifically
> for port 6969.

Fairly simple: Just add a rule to whichever interface you want to block this
port from with source all, source port all, dest. all, dest. port 6969. I
assume you're looking to block connections to BitTorrent trackers? Remember
that not all trackers work on the default port - in fact I've noticed a
tendency in recent months for more and more of them to run on non-standard
ports. This won't help you at all with that.

Wouldn't it be better off to use the traffic shaper rather than blocking the
port entirely? I think the default magic shaper config assigns lowest
priority to ports 6881-6889, the BitTorrent data ports. This sounds
preferable to blocking it completely - contrary to what the RIAA/MPAA might
like to believe, there are actually plenty of legit uses for P2P stuff.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579