[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew \"Silver Blade\" Greenwood" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 3 x NIC - "local server"
 Date:  Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:57:53 +0000
1) I believe it is possible. Just set up a traffic shaping rule that
specifies the destination as the 3rd NIC's subnet.

On my network, for example, I have these on m0n0wall:
192.168.0.x - LAN
192.168.1.x - WAN (goes to router/modem)
192.168.2.x - Wireless LAN (OPT1)

The wireless LAN isn't up at present, but I could attach anything I
wanted to that interface.

I could then set up a traffic shaping rule using the 192.168.2.x subnet
as the destination, and assign it to a pipe with whatever limitations I
desired.

Note that you can often just select "LAN Subnet" or "OPT1 Subnet" to
save typing in a specific subnet.

(I think subnet is the right term, I could be wrong...)

Depending on how many clients there are, I'd say divide the bandwidth
available on the AP by the number of expected users. For example, an
11mbit AP with 11 users would equal 1mbit per user (or 128 KBYTE per user.)

2) You can *not* use the same IP range used for the LAN. If you want to
cause possibly more confusion for yourself, you can use a subnet mask
other than /24 to achieve something similar (/25 for example might give
you 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.127 and another network of 128 - 255.)

It's therefore easiest to just do something like I have - 192.168.0.x
and 192.168.1.x