[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD 5.3 Released
 Date:  Sun, 07 Nov 2004 06:41:19 -0700
David Orman wrote:

>LOTS of bug fixes, especially concerning wireless support. It would
>actually fix the power saving mode client issues I've been having,
>which is preventing my state-wide deployment. The multithreaded
>networking stack really wouldn't help much as most embedded systems are
>UP, and multithreading just creates additional overhead in most cases
>when not on an SMP system (and even when on an SMP system, but the
>additional processor makes up for it). The bug fixes (especially
>related to wireless), additional drivers, and increased performance of
>the scheduler would all be quite welcome in my book.

Speaking of SMP systems, will m0n0wall take advantage of a SMP system?

I'm running on a single 200MHz box right now, but I'll soon have a
2x300MHz box becoming available.

Assuming I don't run into any other hardware issues, that box has more
PCI slots then my current system, and since I'm going to be going gigE
relatively soon, I'd like to expand.

Is it worth using an SMP box, or should I try to pick up another non-SMP
box?

--
I'd rather be told "Have a nice day" by someone who doesn't mean it,
than to "F--- OFF" by someone who does.