[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD 5.3 Released
 Date:  Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:32:52 -0500
Probably the thing the most people are looking for is driver support
for 802.11g cards.

Good summary of networking enhancements posted here a couple days ago.
 http://people.freebsd.org/~andre/FreeBSD-5.3-Networking.pdf

Especially of note is it'll route 1 Mpps, while Linux can barely do
100 Kpps.  :)

> Speaking of SMP systems, will m0n0wall take advantage of a SMP system?

Not in the release builds (no kernel SMP support).
http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-smp.html

> Is it worth using an SMP box, or should I try to pick up another non-SMP
> box?

Depends on what you're using it for.  If you're using features other
than the typical NAT/firewall, it'd be beneficial to run SMP.  Unless
you have a fat internet pipe, you probably aren't going to notice any
speed improvements from a 200 MHz to anything else.

-Chris