[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b2 release: Dial-On-Demand/Idle timeout still broken
 Date:  Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:19:40 +0100
Am Sa, den 06.11.2004 schrieb Goetz Goerisch um 9:47:
> If one enables Dial-on-demand for PPPoE and has no DNS server specified
> in the General Setup and enabled "Allow DNS server list to be
> overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" in the General Setup m0n0wall has no DNS
> to query for an IP address.
>
> Therefore the connection does not established, because the m0n0wall
> does not know a DNS server to query. It works perfectly if there is at
> least one DNS server specified in the General Setup.

I can approve this. To override the DNS server list, there has to be an
open line. Without it, there is nothing to override from. Without
correct DNS servers triggering the line to go up isn't that easy for
most people.

They can:
* give m0n0 a correct list of DNS servers
* use DynDNS (m0n0 forces the line to go up with an entry for DynDNS)
* send a ping to the outside :-(

So, this isn't really a bug, but not very beautiful, too.

Ciao ...

 copyleft(c) by |           On the Internet, no one knows you're using
 Peter Allgeyer |   _-_     Windows NT  -- Submitted by Ramiro Estrugo,