[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron Wong <aaron dot wong at dot dot net dot au>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature request - vnstat
 Date:  Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:38:23 +1100
I understand that there is SNMP and MTRG (+ variants) to graph the
Interface stats... in fact, I am using it right now. But SNMP and MTRG
on m0n0 or ifconfig does not really tell how many bytes has pass through
a interface over a period of time weekly, daily, etc. It only shows
bandwidth utilisation. (or have I missed something?)

I am also aware that to hack vnstat/m0n0 to keep historic data maybe bit
of a problem. Probably in the same boat as those commercial dsl router
IP accounting, reset and IP accounting disappear. We can live that (?)

It would be nice to see how many bytes has passed through a interface,
like WAN... just to seek an extra eye on it - like, to make sure the ISP
is telling the truth on download quota. :)

Even though the official m0n0 release does not have shell access, there
is a reported hack in vnstat forum to use a simple php script to grab
vnstats and display it on m0n0.

Sure graph with vnstat may look a bit 'cheesy', but we can ditch it, and
just use the IP accounting feature.

Just for stats, I have vnstat on a Linux box for ~2months and has
collected approx. 1TB of data, the database is approx. 2.7KB. Also, on
another Linux box, which has accounted approx. 1GB, its database is
approx. 2.6KB.

sigterm.
Did you get vnstat compiled and working on m0n0?