[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mat Johns <mbj202 at ecs dot soton dot ac dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ad Blocking in m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:15:16 +0000
As great a feature this is, Ive now implemented this on the client
(using the hosts list) as the huge list added about 30sec to boot time
(not that important) however it made DNS lookups take about 20sec! (BIG
prob!) Add seeing that my router is a 300mhz not all that slow for the
10 client machines!

wirzcat at att dot net wrote:

 > I am using a Soekris net4801 with lan1621 and Senao wireless mini-pci.
 > So, a 266mhz.

 > From: "Massimo B." <ghiblone at tin dot it>
 >
 >>> It appears to have little or none performance impact...
 >>

 >> Good!!!
 >> Have you a standard PC for m0n0wall? (frequency and processor type?)
 >>

 >>> I think a hosts file approach would be better
 >>> to avoid making a mess out of the config.xml file.
 >>

 >> Of course!!!
 >>
 >> Ad Blocking with m0n0wall is powerfull and very important for
network security
 >> and management. If it's possible, loading a "standard" host file...
great!!!
 >> Now, the question is: how?
 >>
 >> Thank's
 >>
 >> Massimo B.