[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Bill Hamel <billh at bugs dot hamel dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0 wireless interface question
 Date:  Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:18:26 -0500

Firstly, I apologize if this is a duplicate post, my laptop crashed during the
last send , so I waited and didnt see it show up on the list, so here we go
again :)

I'm having difficulty getting wireless working with m0n0wall. Any insight
greatly appreciated. I am trying to configure (eventually) the device as an AP,
but can't seem to even be able to see it with netstunbler.

Hardware: Soekris Net4521, Orinico Silver 802.11b PCMCIA card (with 8.7
Firmware, have also tried 6.x) OS: Have tried M0n0wall 1.1 as well as 1.2b2

I looked and it seems as though the Silver cards are in the supported hardware
list for this version M0n0wall.

In M0n0wall, I assigned the wireless card as WAN ( I have tried LAN
also)configured the card with and without WEP, gave it an SSID of "foo" as well
as "bar" because I'getting really close to needing a drink :) Also made sure to
"Enable" the interface.

I configured rules to allow traffic in and out (depending if the wireless was
configured as WAN or LAN at the time).

Looking at the Kernel logs I see no errors and see the card being loaded OK.

The card's lights act as I would suspect, a flicker every once in awhile etc.
but the interface Status shows "No Carrier", and "Wireless Status" shows no
other networks or devices even though there are when I look at netstumbler.

When I use Netstumbler I can't see the M0n0wall wireless network either , but I
can see other networks as expected.

I have tried 2 different silver cards (one with Firmware 6.x and the
other with the latest 8.x).

Can anyone tell me if the Silver cards will:
A. Work, and if not what does ?
B: Is there something I am missing to configure a wireless interface on a
M0n0wall using these cards ?

Many thanks in advance,

dangerous content by the Bugs.Hamel.Net MailScanner,
and appears to be clean.