[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] installing monowall on full freebsd distro
 Date:  Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:00:15 -0500
Site is working fine, not sure why the one poster couldn't get there.
it is a brand new domain, so it's possible that DNS hasn't propagated
worldwide yet.

This is nowhere near ready for public posting yet (hence the private email
reply that someone felt the need to blast to the whole mailing list),
as it's just a private beta at this point.  This isn't even close to
being ready for this crowd.

But now that it's hit the list I feel the need to comment.  The
project is only a week
old, but Scott has it rolling on FBSD 5.3 with pf.  The feature I'm
most excited about is pf's altq traffic shaping.  It absolutely kills
dummynet (what m0n0wall uses) in terms of capabilities and
functionality and ease of use.  (and Manuel will be able to easily
port our work on pf when
m0n0wall gets to 5.3 if he so desires, all code in public CVS here
http://pfsense.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/)

There are plenty who will say "X doesn't belong on a firewall" where X
is any pkg m0n0 doesn't have (maybe even some it does...), and for
most of those things I agree completely.  Like I would never in a
million years run a public web
server on a firewall under any circumstance, and we won't support
anything that risky.

**This thread dies here.**  our points will be made on our website
when we get it all together.

To avoid any confusion, my #1 priority outside of my real job is still
working on m0n0wall documentation, and the screens in pfSense will
keep the identical layout (except for differing features) because I'll
be doing the documentation for both projects.  I'll commit to
m0n0wall's CVS repo first, and port changes over where appropriate.

-Chris