[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hynek Cihlar <hynek dot cihlar at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to limit max. number of NAT translation (sessions) on m0n0wall to single IP on LAN side
 Date:  Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:51:17 +0100
Hi, what would be the symptoms of too many connections from the LAN side?

We have a small network of around 50 users. On a random basis the
router doesn't handle routing properly - the speed to WAN isn't fully
utilized, even packets are lost occasionally (www pages not beeing
loaded correctly, and so on). I've discovered that when I reset the
NAT connection table, everything starts working again for a random
period of time.

It seems that the same requirement - to limit the number of NAT
connections - would be beneficial to us as well.

Hynek

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:10:43 +0100, Krzysztof Syguda
<krzys at wroclaw dot dialog dot net dot pl> wrote:
> How to limit max. naumber of nat translations (sessions) on m0n0wall to singl
> IP on LAN side (mack)?
> Many users use p2p clients and programs like flashget.
> They have a lot of sessions opened on router and make everything slows
> down.
> Traffic shaping does not resolve this problem. Max allowed number of
> sessions could be a good choice for some type of clients.
> Does anybody know how to do this?
> KS
>
> Thought for the day:
>    Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
>    intelligence for long enough to get money from it.
>           -- Stephen Leacock.

Hynek Cihlar