[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Johan Bergquist" <johan dot bergquist at fredab dot se>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Patent Rights
 Date:  Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:52:31 +0100
Been looking through some of the patentstuff... Amazing stuff this is...
Almost as hard reading this as the Swedish Lawbook...

"1. A method related to controlling communication of a message from a user
machine to a global computer network including the Internet, comprising:

Umm... If I am reading this correctly this patent is written so that anyone
sitting behind a firewall is included...

And it goes on to:

"sending a message from a user machine to a proxy server disposed between
said user machine and said global computer network, said message to said
global computer network including at least a first data packet having a
number of fields including a first field related to a first destination
address;"

And here we have what? Well these clowns seem to think that a proxy server
is a firewall. In a sense that is right... But they are bending the law to
fit their purpose and I know for a fact that even that is illegal in the US
(even with Bush at the wheel).

The definition of a proxy server goes something like this:

In an enterprise that uses the Internet, a proxy server is a server that
acts as an intermediary between a workstation user and the Internet so that
the enterprise can ensure security, administrative control, and caching
service. A proxy server is associated with or part of a gateway server that
separates the enterprise network from the outside network and a firewall
server that protects the enterprise network from outside intrusion.

And on the other hand the definition of a firewall is:

A firewall is a set of related programs, located at a network gateway
server, that protects the resources of a private network from users from
other networks. (The term also implies the security policy that is used with
the programs.) An enterprise with an intranet that allows its workers access
to the wider Internet installs a firewall to prevent outsiders from
accessing its own private data resources and for controlling what outside
resources its own users have access to.

Am I the only one seeing this this way? I've seen Manuel write that m0n0wall
is no proxy... It's just a firewall. Nothing more, nothing less. But hey...
I might be wrong, and they probably have a lot of lawbending lawyers that
will sue me just for writing this. But I'm trying to live on the edge these
days :)

//Johan