[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian Watters" <brwatters at abs dash internet dot com>
 To:  "'Massimo B.'" <ghiblone at tin dot it>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Ad Blocking in m0n0wall
 Date:  Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:18:36 -0800
Blocking of ad's along with www sites that are not needed in a business
should always take place at the edge (firewall), allowing this sort of
traffic to the inside is really BAD, it can allow all sorts of bad things to
happen at the workstation level and depending on users to do the right
thing? .. We have loaded on m0n0wall the whole list of blocks and find that
yes it does take 20 sec longer to load the firewall from a reload but its
still under a min to come back up . Heck how many PIX's can say that ..
Memory? .. We have found that 256megs of memory handles just about anything
we can throw at the firewall .. Running P3 800's on the Firewalls and they
barely see 5% CPU usage most of the day.

Block at the edge is my vote.

Brian