[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall hangups
 Date:  Wed, 10 Nov 2004 04:13:11 -0500
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:41:16 +0500, sai <list at ebs dot net dot pk> wrote:

> >     I am experiencing very strange problem with newly installed
> > m0n0wall. After successful installation I configured interfaces, dns,
> > dhcp, nat and pppoe. Everything is working fine, but I'm experiencing
> > m0n0wall hangups. About every 20 minutes box stops running. I can't
> > access webGUI, and nothing can pass thru the network. Every time this
> > happens LED indicating disk activity starts blinking in regular
> > intervals. Box responds to ping requests.

Sounds like it's having trouble reading the CD.  Older boxes don't
always play nicely with CD-R's.  Try burning it on a different brand
blank, or using a different burner, or force the speed to something
low like 2X.  An -RW disc might work better, or if you're using a
CD-RW, try a CD-R.

> >     The solution for this hangup is also strange. If I press Enter on
> > console menu box starts running normally for another 20-30 minutes.

Which is odd, and might not explain the above situation, but my guess
is this is a fluke (or doing this causes something to happen that gets
around the problem of reading the CD temporarily)

-Chris