[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ad Blocking in m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:53:46 -0600
Throwing in my $0.02 on the issue of ad blocking (and getting even more
off topic)...

Great solution
Use Squid + Dansguardian on another machine

Good solution
Use PAC file with a very simple "blackhole" proxy server.

PAC file: O'Reilly republished Sheryl Canter's article about PAC files
or detailed info

Windows proxy: Blackhole Proxy
Unix proxy: Noproxy (http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/noproxy)

If you are unable to use squid + dansguardian, I highly recommend PAC
file over HOSTS file. Why?
 - Easier to maintain than HOSTS file
 - Use wildcards (*)
 - Block specific paths (not whole hosts)
 - Redirect to different ports
 - Smaller than HOSTS file (huge HOSTS file can cause problems for some)