[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall guide in new book
 Date:  Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:24:48 -0800
[Warning: book promotion disguised as helpful / thank you post :-)]

Ever since my early involvement with m0n0wall (I contributed a preliminary
version of the NNTP support way back when), and my more recent organization
and sponsorship of the captive portal feature
(www.socalfreenet.org/captivewall), I've been keen to get the word out about
Manuel's awesome creation and help people to use it.

A new book, "Wireless Hacking" contains a 28 page guide to configuring
m0n0wall for wireless use (separate AP or wireless card), including captive
portal. It contains a detailed (and I mean really step by step detailed!)
guide to getting m0n0wall running on either a PC or single board computer
(WRAP and Soekris are both described). E.g. it includes writing the CF with
physdiskwrite, and burning a CD, SBC default serial port settings -
everything I could think of that might get in the way as you try to install
and configure m0n0wall. (I'm sure its not perfect, so I welcome your
feedback for the next edition!)

The book is called "Wireless Hacking" and its available at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/193183637X/socalfreenet-20  (using
this link gives our group a $2 kickback) and fully described, including
table of contents at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/193183637X/desc.html. It
was written by 6 members of our local non-profit community wireless group,
www.socalfreenet.org.

In addition to helping new m0n0wall users get started, I'm hopeful that
describing m0n0wall in a book from a major publisher will create a whole new
set of m0n0wall users, which will lead to a new set of contributors, who
will create new features, etc.

Finally, I'm very excited that this book is finally in print and hope you
find it useful!

Thanks so much to the many many contributors who have made m0n0wall
possible, and Manuel for shaping their contributions into such a powerful
and elegant product.

cheers, michael