[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  matt whiteley <mattwhiteley at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Linux port of M0n0
 Date:  Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:47:08 -0800
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:20:44 -0200, Eduardo Almeida
<eduardo underscore simpsom underscore rj at yahoo dot com dot br> wrote:
> I'm trying the m0n0 project and liked a lot, but I know "nothing" about
> FreeBSD and want to port the project to a Linux kernel to increase my
> knowledge about Linux and to make some changes that I need in my work
> environment. Do you have any objections? I'll make notes pointing to the
> original project and will respect the License terms.

It appears you are trying to ask Manuel if he approves, I will let him
answer that. However, from the licensing it shouldn't matter if he
approves but don't ask him or others here to support your  quest.

First of all, I am sure m0n0wall is based on FreeBSD on purpose.
FreeBSD has much higher performance in routing applications and has
what is considered, by and large, to be a superior TCP/IP stack. Many
of the source projects used in m0n0wall either don't work in linux
and/or have no direct equivalent. I for one tried every PPTP vpn
software I could find for linux and none of them could provide the
statbility or performance of the mpd setup in m0n0wall.

I think that attempting to "port" the project to linux while knowing
"nothing" about FreeBSD, would be basically impossible. Using it for
inspiration for a linux based project could be fun and satisfying for
many people. I think that all things considered it's performance would
fall short of m0n0wall.

I mean no insult, and only write wondering if you have considered the
scope of what you suggest. Having said that, good luck on your
project. What does m0n0wall not feature, that you need? Is it
something that you could add through the unsupported extensions
interface? Maybe other users would benefit from it or help you work on
it in that case.

--
matt whiteley <mattwhiteley at gmail dot com>