[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eduardo Almeida <eduardo underscore simpsom underscore rj at yahoo dot com dot br>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Linux port of M0n0
 Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:42:04 -0200
Em Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:47:08 -0800
matt whiteley <mattwhiteley at gmail dot com> escreveu:

> It appears you are trying to ask Manuel if he approves, I will let him
> answer that. However, from the licensing it shouldn't matter if he
> approves but don't ask him or others here to support your  quest.

I know that the license don't restrict what I want to do. I only want
to know if anyone already did this kind of porting job.

> First of all, I am sure m0n0wall is based on FreeBSD on purpose.
> FreeBSD has much higher performance in routing applications and has
> what is considered, by and large, to be a superior TCP/IP stack. Many
> of the source projects used in m0n0wall either don't work in linux
> and/or have no direct equivalent. I for one tried every PPTP vpn
> software I could find for linux and none of them could provide the
> statbility or performance of the mpd setup in m0n0wall.
>
> I think that attempting to "port" the project to linux while knowing
> "nothing" about FreeBSD, would be basically impossible. Using it for
> inspiration for a linux based project could be fun and satisfying for
> many people. I think that all things considered it's performance would
> fall short of m0n0wall.

Ok. I know "almost nothing" about FreeBSD. I've a good knowledge
about Unix systems and know how the boot process works (and I believe
that this is the most important thing in this porting process). And you
said exactly what I want with this port: fun, satisfaction and the
opportunitty to learn more about Linux and Unix.

> I mean no insult, and only write wondering if you have considered the
> scope of what you suggest. Having said that, good luck on your
> project. What does m0n0wall not feature, that you need? Is it
> something that you could add through the unsupported extensions
> interface? Maybe other users would benefit from it or help you work on
> it in that case.

I'm happy to read your comments and thanks for the wish of good luck.
One of the things that I want is the link load balancing or use two WAN
links. I don't know about any extension that do the job. And I want to
make some exotic changes and includes (like squid for transparent
proxy). I know that the squid thing will never be included in m0n0, and
that's why i'm going to do the port.

Thanks,

Eduardo Almeida (Simpsom)