[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  alex wetmore <alex at phred dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  debugging m0n0wall hangs
 Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:31:39 -0800 (PST)
I posted this two weeks ago with no real replies.  I'm hoping that
someone can help this time.

I'm running m0n0wall on a WRAP.1C.

The machine is averaging an uptime of about 24 hours.  It has been
doing this since the daylight savings time changeover in the US on Oct
30th (about two weeks ago).  Prior to this the board has been stable
since June 2004.

The only reply that I got last time recommended using a higher quality
power supply.  I purchased a 12V, 25W switching power supply and have
been using that for a week.  The hangs still occur.  I've tried two
other power supplies with no improvement.  I don't think that it is a
power supply issue.

I've got syslogd logging going and don't get anything useful when it
hangs.  I've also left a terminal emulator attached to the serial port
hoping to see a panic message but no message appeared there either.

How do I debug what is happening?

When the hang occurs the machine appears to lock up solid.  The serial
port isn't responsive, it won't ping on either of the two LAN ports,
and all traffic lights stop blinking.

Does anyone know if there is a diagnostic test for WRAP boards?  I'm
wondering if my board has faulty memory.

alex