[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Matchstick <matchstick at oofg dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, alex wetmore <alex at phred dot org>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] debugging m0n0wall hangs
 Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:48:16 +0000
Friday, November 12, 2004, 2:31:39 PM, alex wetmore (alex at phred dot org) wrote:

I've been having problem with a Wrap.1C board haning after 4-5 days
(usually during or just after a period of heavy load like a Bittorrent
transfer)

Like you the board just locks up and refuses to respond to either
ethernet or serial connection but doesn't post any error messages
either to the Syslog or serial console.

However on the suggestion of a post here I tried disabling the Traffic
shaper and since I did that the board has managed a couple of weeks of
faultless operation (just like under v1.1).

Unfortunately I can't reliably reproduce the problem without just
leaving the board running for several days but I am pretty convinced
that something in the v1.2 traffic shaper (or maybe the rules built by
the v1.2 Shaper wizard) that is causing a serious problem with my Wrap
board (and possibly other people's).

So do you have Traffic Shaper enabled ? If so, do you still have the
problem with the Shaper disabled ?

Cheers

--
Paul Browning
matchstick at oofg dot com

aw> I posted this two weeks ago with no real replies.  I'm hoping that
aw> someone can help this time.

aw> I'm running m0n0wall on a WRAP.1C.

aw> The machine is averaging an uptime of about 24 hours.  It has been
aw> doing this since the daylight savings time changeover in the US on Oct
aw> 30th (about two weeks ago).  Prior to this the board has been stable
aw> since June 2004.

aw> The only reply that I got last time recommended using a higher quality
aw> power supply.  I purchased a 12V, 25W switching power supply and have
aw> been using that for a week.  The hangs still occur.  I've tried two
aw> other power supplies with no improvement.  I don't think that it is a
aw> power supply issue.

aw> I've got syslogd logging going and don't get anything useful when it
aw> hangs.  I've also left a terminal emulator attached to the serial port
aw> hoping to see a panic message but no message appeared there either.

aw> How do I debug what is happening?

aw> When the hang occurs the machine appears to lock up solid.  The serial
aw> port isn't responsive, it won't ping on either of the two LAN ports,
aw> and all traffic lights stop blinking.

aw> Does anyone know if there is a diagnostic test for WRAP boards?  I'm
aw> wondering if my board has faulty memory.

aw> alex

aw> To unsubscribe, e-mail: m0n0wall dash unsubscribe at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
aw> For additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch