[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  alex wetmore <alex at phred dot org>
 To:  ALFREDO GONZALEZ <got2go at msn dot com>
 Cc:  matchstick at oofg dot com, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] debugging m0n0wall hangs
 Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:18:04 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, ALFREDO GONZALEZ wrote:
> >I turned off traffic shaping and it crashed again (shortest uptime
> >ever this time, about 7 hours).
> >
> >I haven't gotten a response from pcengines about diagnostic software
> >either.
> >

> Hello,
> I have a few suggestions:
>
> 1- There is a revision to the WRAP boards where a surface mount resistor is
> changed out with another one of different value, and a capacitor is added.
> If your board does not have this, then it might be the cause. This revision
> corrects an instabillity that might be experienced in nosy electrical
> situations (Ex: high EMI). You could send the board back and have them make
> make the necessary modifications to your board.

Do you know how to identify a board without this fix vs one with the
fix?  Where does the resistor go?

It is likely in a high EMI environment, although the EMI shouldn't have
changed from a month ago when everything was stable.  In particular my
WRAP board is not in a shielded enclosure.

> 2- You could try a newer BIOS, if it is old. This is not related to #1, but
> it is just another possible cause for the hangups.
> I think I have a later BIOS that I could send you to try if you want.

That would be helpful.  I was wondering where to get the latest BIOS,
they don't seem to offer it on their website.

alex