[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Wilks" <adam dot wilks at weymouthwireless dot co dot uk>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Half-bridge modem routing fix
 Date:  Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:05:10 -0000
Peter

> Your info referred to running DHCP - so I guess that the DSL modem is
> doing some sort of passthough (ie it is connecting via PPP and then
> presents the address and DNS info via DHCP).

From what I know about these things, you are correct. The modem
authenticates with the ISP using PPPoA (or whatever) and passes the
public IP through to the first client that queries the DHCP server
(along with DNS servers).

I believe I read somewhere on the expansys forums (google "DSL300T
site:www.expansys.com") that this modem, when in bridge mode not only
passes the public IP to the attached PC, but also it seems to pass the
responsibility of authenticating via PPP. Perhaps I interpreted wrong

The modem I am using is an X-Modem from www.adslnation.com, a great
little device. It doesn't have many configurable features but when
you're using m0n0 who needs anything more? :)

Let us know if you find any answers to your problem, I'm sure others
with this modem would appreciate the info... and for that matter, has
anyone else on the list actually got this working yet?

Regards,

Adam.