[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Status report
 Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:20:02 +0100
Just so you all know I'm not dead or completely immersed in my studies:
I have just succeeded in converting m0n0wall to FreeBSD 4.9. Sounds
easy, but due to the countless patches and tweaks required (not to
mention the various platforms that each need different kernels and
bootloaders), it isn't all that easy. :)

The next things I'll tackle are finally integrating Petr Verner's
more-advanced advanced outbound NAT [tm] ;) patch as well as Bruce A.
Mah's filtering bridge patches (did I make any further promises?).
Bruce has figured out the cause of the problem that made me use
ng_bridge instead of BRIDGE in the first place, so we're now ready to
throw out ng_bridge altogether. Since filtered bridging is quite an
advanced feature, there will probably be a knob on the advanced setup
page to enable it. Yes, Bruce, I reconsidered enabling it by default
and decided against it. :) The reason? I figured that many (if not
most) people would use bridging to create a wireless access point
bridged with LAN, and filtering there would harm performance (overhead
of filtering, tons of state table entries created even with a pass all
rule, etc.). Besides, such a knob (while not an especially beautiful
solution, I agree, but so what...) will preserve backward compatibility
with respect to config.xml. Complaints may be sent to /dev/null. ;)

Besides, an official m0n0wall image for a new platform will be
released: the Wireless Router Application Platform from PC Engines
(www.pcengines.ch)! This will be an alternative to Soekris-based
systems (especially the net4801, as the specifications are very
similar). I have successfully tested m0n0wall on two beta boards and
must say that I'm very satisfied with them - excellent stability, "just
works". Production boards are expected to ship in January. Now you can
finally have an all Swiss made (well, designed at least) firewall... ;)

Greets,

Manuel