[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  bmah at acm dot org (Bruce A. Mah)
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Status report
 Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:33:49 -0800
If memory serves me right, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> Just so you all know I'm not dead or completely immersed in my studies:
> I have just succeeded in converting m0n0wall to FreeBSD 4.9. Sounds
> easy, but due to the countless patches and tweaks required (not to
> mention the various platforms that each need different kernels and
> bootloaders), it isn't all that easy. :)

Considering that we only released FreeBSD 4.9 less than 48 hours ago,
I'm pretty impressed by this.  :-)

> The next things I'll tackle are finally integrating Petr Verner's
> more-advanced advanced outbound NAT [tm] ;) patch

I personally don't use NAT but I admit the name of this has me
intriuged.  :-)

> as well as Bruce A.
> Mah's filtering bridge patches (did I make any further promises?).
> Bruce has figured out the cause of the problem that made me use
> ng_bridge instead of BRIDGE in the first place, so we're now ready to
> throw out ng_bridge altogether.

Yay!

For the curious, ARP to unnumbered bridge interfaces doesn't work if
bridge(4) is loaded as a module, but it works OK if bridge(4) is
compiled into the kernel.  As far as I can tell, it's a long-standing
bug in FreeBSD's networking stack.  I understand the problem but I'm not
sure how to fix it.

> Since filtered bridging is quite an
> advanced feature, there will probably be a knob on the advanced setup
> page to enable it. Yes, Bruce, I reconsidered enabling it by default
> and decided against it. :)

Heh.  Actually I'm so happy I won't have to do the
unpack-everything-apply-patches-repack-everything dance with every new
m0n0wall release I don't care if you have a knob or not.  :-)

> Besides, an official m0n0wall image for a new platform will be
> released: the Wireless Router Application Platform from PC Engines
> (www.pcengines.ch)!

Very interesting!

Thanks as always for great software...

Bruce.