[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Hall <mhall at riverside dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] MTU problem (PPPoE ADSL)
 Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:25:26 -0800
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:31:36PM +0100, Manuel Kasper wrote:

> On 28.10.2003, at 19:45, Michael Hall wrote:
>
> >something as I don't think that should be necessary. The old firewall
> >(FreeBSD/ipfilter) using the standard userland PPPoE setup, the MTU,
>
> FreeBSD userland ppp does MSS clamping by default. MPD can't do it, so
> we have to resort to using ipnat's mssclamp feature. Which of course
> implies that you use NAT. If you don't, well... Maybe we/you could add
> some kind of "null" NAT rule just to get the MSS clamping effect.

I guess that was kind of my thought also, having never used FreeBSD's
NAT before though I'm not sure how to go about that, time for a little
research. Be nice to come up with and implement a generic solution vs
just a fix for myself, there obviously has to be other users in the
same situation. I'll see what I can do, any hints or pointers would
be appreciated :-)

--
The only easy way to tell a hamster from a gerbil is that the
gerbil has more dark meat.

Mike Hall,
Unix Admin   - Rock Island Communications           <mikeh at rockisland dot com>
System Admin - riverside.org                        <mhall at riverside dot org>