[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron Robinson <aaron at robinson dot net>
 To:  John Smith <qwik999 at yahoo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Public IP's on LAN
 Date:  Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:58:49 -0800
On Nov 2, 2003, at 8:20 AM, John Smith wrote:
> Yoour problem seems in routing instead of firewall
> ruleset. You may want to give this setup a try:
> on WAN interface:
> IP address:             64.xxx.28.198
> subnet mask:            255.255.255.252
> default gateway:        64.xxx.28.197
>
> then on LAN interface
> LAN subnet:      255.255.255.240
> IP:     64.xxx.26.177
>
> All the clinets on the LAn subnet should get (through
> DHCP or static)
> LAN subnet:      255.255.255.240
> Starting IP:     64.xxx.26.178
> default gateway: 64.xxx.26.177
>
> Disablle NAT,
>
> The default ruleset should work.
>
> Good Luck

This is what I had thought initially, but it seems I can't use the
64.xxx.28.198 as an address. The SDSL router is 64.xxx.28.197, but if I
try to use 64.xxx.28.198 with the above information, I get nothing. I
can't ping the 64.xxx.28.197 gateway or the internet. Should I be able
to use 64.xxx.28.198?

All I can figure is that 64.xxx.28.198 is not meant to be used by me. I
can use any of the LAN addresses without a problem, but I don't know
how I should set this up if LAN addresses are all I can use. In my
initial e-mail someone mentioned having to have the WAN and LAN in
different subnets. Is there a way I could do that? Could I ask my ISP
to do something to make this easier?

Thanks!
Aaron