[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adrian Wiesmann" <awiesmann at swordlord dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Idea about plugins for m0n0
 Date:  Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:05:13 +0100 (CET)
Hi list

I lately had this idea of having a plugin system within m0n0wall. The
plugin system would contain packages crafted after a specification which
can be uploaded somehow (ftp?) to the m0n0wall and then be used and
configured via the web interface (dynamically).

I came to this idea because of the requests to this list if this or that
feature could be put into the m0n0walls next release. Therefore having
some main m0n0wall version and some plugins (scripts and binaries with
some predefined interface so they could be dynamically started and stopped
via webinterface) could not only help with this "problem" but would
perhaps help the general development of new features, because one would
not need another development system to develop for monowall, but could
write scripts and test them on the "real hardware".

Plugins could be:
- General cronjobs for time based activation/deactivation of services
- Snort
- Traffic analysis and Reporting
- Intrusion Detection
- etc