[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Pim Koeman" <pim at dataground dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  MAC Filter
 Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:08:23 +0100
Hi Manuel, People from the list,

First i would like to say m0n0wall is an excellent router/firewall !
We use it as our External and Wireless router and it is allways working
ok. Administration couldn't be easyer !

I was wondering, is there any way to implement a wireless MAC filter
(like you have on dedicated AP's) ?
We're having trouble with people abusing out Wlan, we would like to lock
them out of our Wlan.

I allready tried to configure DHCP to give out ip's which have no route
to the WAN, and configure all MAC's with fixed (secret) addresses. These
(secret) IP's have a route to the WAN. Problem with this approach is
people guessing fixed (secret) ip's on their wireless cards within this
(secret) range. We would like to block them out by default with a MAC
filter.

Another option we considdered is using PPTP with radius for all wireless
clients,
In this case we open up the wlan for everyone (no WEP, no MAC filter)
but only provide internet service to our PPTP clients.

Problem here is ; m0n0wall only supports 16 concurrent PPTP clients.
Is it possible (and reliable) to increase the max. number of PPTP
clients ?

Has anyone used Monowall for PPTP connections on a large scale in a
production environment ?

Thanks ! Kind Regards, Pim Koeman, The Netherlands