[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  William Bloom <wbloom at eldocomp dot com>
 Subject:  NATing blocks of addresses
 Date:  Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:15:58 -0700
We have a bunch of clients who VPN to our systems here.  As you might
expect, those that use RFC-1918 private addresses want those addresses to
run around on out network.  So far, we've been lucky in that we've not had
any conflicting address sets.  But it's sure to happen.

We'd rather not dictate addresses to our customers (keep the customer
satisfied, as they say), and are considering slipping a net4801 between the
customer router and our firewall, with the exclusive job of doing 1:1
mapping of blocks of addresses.  That is, we'd like to be able to make
192.168.4.0/24 turn into 192.168.7.0/24 (or something like that).

We've not been able to see an easy way to do that, short of entering 253
individual rules.  I'm sure ipnat can do such a thing, just not sure how to
ask the GUI to make it happen.

We've been messing around with using the exec.php URL to stuff ipnat
commands in, but they will naturally disappear after a boot.

Anything easy I've missed?

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400