[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tracy Phillips" <m0n0 dash lists at weberize dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  I am confused on rule order
 Date:  Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:21:54 -0600
Hello again.

I am a bit confused about rule order and execution.

I am under the impression that ipf rules are were evaluated and the last
rule that matched was the one that triggered a block.

In the latest release of m0n0wall this is how it reads under the Firewall >
Rules:

Hint: rules are evaluated on a first-match basis (i.e. the action of the
first rule to match a packet will be
executed). This means that if you use block rules, you'll have to pay
attention to the rule order.
Everything that isn't explicitly passed is blocked by default.

This sounds more like ipfw doesn't it?

Am I missing something or am I as confused as usual? Could someone please
explain this one to me.

Thanks a bunch,

Tracy